Tuesday 11 August 2015

box cushion for wrought iron bench



                                              Hello Friends!

                  I would love to share with you how my wrought iron bench looks now!



                            A few weeks back I purchased this bench at a country sale .


It looks rather stark without a cushion don't you think so I set out to find the perfect fabric.


Not JoAnnes,Fabricland,or any other fabric store......but I found this gray and white print
at IKEA!!!  Only $5.99 a metre and I needed 1 1/2 metres. $8.99
This fabric was 150 inches wide.   Score!!






Next to find was a piece of foam for the cushion... Now that was a bit of a challenge...
Went to quite a few fabric stores and you wouldn't believe the $$$$ that they wanted for
a 3" foam 39"x 18" $69.00....wow I wasn't going to pay that.


I called a few upholsterers and they sent me to Ace Upholstery and sure enough for
that 39" x 18" foam all I paid was $37.50.  Quite the difference in price.

Supplies for cushion:
fabric
cording
thread
scissors
sewing machine
zipper
foam

First I measured out my fabric by laying my foam on the top and tracing out the pattern with
a pencil.
Cut one  lengths of fabric 150"inches  x 3 1/4 inches for my sides and front.
Cut one length  of fabric 39" x 4 1/2"  for the zipper .
Cut fabric 150" x 1 1/2 " x 3 for my covered piping.

Now I was ready  to sew.


I also found at IKEA these cushion covers in gray and white check.
They also have a zipper enclosure. $6.99 each x 2 .


Let's break down my cost.  fabric     $8.99
                                        zipper     $0 had one in my stash
                                        cording   $0 also had already
                                         foam      $37.50

So if you add in the tax for Ontario @ 13% it costs me $52.40.

                                                          Love this look!


                                             Thanks for leaving me all those lovely
                                                               comments!
                                                           Come by again !
                                     


Sharing with:

5 comments:

  1. Lovely bench. love the contrast of the checks and print. Struck me that maybe one could purchase an outdoor patio furniture pad during the End of Summer sales and cover it with the fabric to save costs on the foam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! That is such a pretty fabric and an awesome price for the whole project as well. I have those pillow covers in our living room and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your choice of fabrics for that cute bench! That bench was such a great find since you've been able to dress it up so cute. That's a great buy on those checked pillow covers. I love grey and white buffalo check pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome! Is Ace Upholstery in Oshawa? If so, I've used them before and they are terrific.
    Recently bought fabric from IKEA too. Who knee they had such a great little selection?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful job you did! I'm looking for some foam too, but it is so expensive. Your bench looks so pretty.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete